The main objectives of PMKSY-Watershed Development Component are as follows:
1.Substantial creation of various water bodies, ground water recharging structure for increasing irrigation potential.
2. Enhancing land productivity.
3. To combat massive soil degradation, erosion.
4. Rural employment generation.
Other Key features of PMKSY-WDC(erstwhile-IWMP) programmes are:
1. Delegating powers to the States for sanctioning and implementation of projects.
2.Dedicated institutions of multi-disciplinary professionals at national, state and district level.
3. Project duration has been made flexible into 3 distinct phases to expand the scope.
4. Clustering of small watershed in the range of 1000-5000 ha areas to optimize transaction cost.
5. Scientific planning and capacity building for innovative new paradigms.
6. Multi tier Ridge to valley implementation with inter departmental coordination and net working emphasized.